Every day when I go to work, I’m reminded of how lucky I am to have stumbled (like most association management professionals) into a career that I love! Working with my clients gives me a front row seat to view how associations allow people to truly connect around a shared interest.
I’ve worked in the association industry for longer than I’m going to mention in this blog, and I’m constantly amazed at the “Power of A” – the term used by the American Society of Association Executives (ASAE) to show the reach and impact that associations have on people, the economy, legislation and more.
As an association professional, it’s important to know the impact that associations have and the importance of groups like the ones we serve.
A few of my favorite association statistics from ASAE include:
- The IRS recognized 66,985 trade and professional associations in 2013.
- During the 2013 fiscal year, there were 1,524 new applications for 501(c)(6) status.
- Membership organizations of all types employed more than 1.3 million in 2013.
- Membership organizations generated payroll of nearly $51 billion in 2013.
- Associations represent a major piece of the meetings and conventions industry in the U.S., supporting nearly 1.8 million jobs and accounting for $280 billion in direct spending by attendees.
Those are some pretty impressive numbers!
What’s even more impressive is the power associations have to connect people who are engaged in a common business or career, share a mutual interest or are brought together for the good of a mission-driven organization. There’s incredible power in creating a community where we’re supportive of each other and share our knowledge so that everyone has a better chance for success.
I’m excited about the future of associations and encourage you to spread the word about “The Power of A." Your members should know the impact they have on our world! For more information on our collective impact and help spreading the word, some excellent resources are available at http://www.thepowerofa.org/.